12 May 2014

Inspire Aspire - Letter to the 20-Year-Old Daughter I Don't Have

Dearest Daughter, I had a lot of fun writing this letter and want it to inspire you, to carry you through your twenties and beyond. I was once the 20-year-old stood on the threshold of the world, and now that I am twice that age and 'old enough to know better', I can safely say I am proud of what I have achieved in life, successes, mistakes et al. And more than anything, I am so proud of you. I want you to be proud of where you come from, where you are standing now and where you are going.

As you are about to step, tip-toe or even stiletto your way into the world, the purpose of this letter is to facilitate your journey and shine a beacon of light on your life path, especially in times of trouble, doubt, loneliness and excess and loss and lack, because with each peak we reach in life, the cycle engineered by the wheel of fortune will make us gently tumble downhill until the velocity of will and the fuel of skillset and talent shall propel us again as we rise up like a phoenix to a higher height than the previously-achieved peak. So prepare to go stellar! You were born to grow and do good, not waste away like a wallflower, living your life by proxy via a TV screen or smartphone app. So I cordially invite you to get the Hell out of here and make your Heaven happen!

Uncredited image via Imgfave
In order to reach for the stars and not crash down and burn out like a meteor when problems break out, you need to dream big but you also need to still feel the pull of gravity and remain a tad grounded. Don't get too dizzy. Use your heart for matters of the heart, but when you get hurt, use your head to solve them. Use your head for financial security. Strive for balance between heart and head. Life strikes a balancing act between the two, and so does society. Art, the art of happiness and self-worth come from the heart. Rationale, material wealth and net worth come from the head. Some people get confused, go astray and waste a lifetime over this.

Before we get in too deep, let me get this clear. The most important relationship you will ever have is not with your mother or lover, it is with yourself. Take the time to find out who you truly are, what makes you tick, what makes you whole. Celebrate what makes you who you are, your skillset, talents, abilities. Your core values are a part of your essence, your DNA. Life is a journey of self-discovery and you mostly learn as you go. The more you know about yourself, the clearer you will be on your calling, your life purpose, the reason why you are on this planet. This is the key to happiness. Above all, be kind to yourself, because if you beat yourself up, others will be quick to kick you when you're down. Stand proud and love yourself before you even think of giving your heart away.

Sayulita, Mexico Wedding by Matt Edge Wedding Photography, via Style Me Pretty
Learn, learn, learn! Whether you are working out the Paris métro system, making up a new cake recipe for some charity, leafing through a magazine in the doctor's waiting room, or visiting a museum with a friend, any moment is potential for growth, way beyond the confines of formal state education. Be curious, be keen, be open to new ideas, thoughts and concepts. Strike conversations, share news articles, debate with others, write a journal. Have an opinion on everything and anything, practice your repartee with me and others. Make your own views. Never be indifferent or ignorant. Indifference and ignorance are the silent killers of the world.

Stay positive and surround yourself with those who view the world as a fascinating place. Marvel at its wonders. The world exerts a strong attraction and opens windows of opportunity. Not all opportunities might be the right ones for you, which is why you cannot rush. Yet for me to cocoon you here in a forced state of comfort zone wouldn't serve you any purpose. Unless you do vehemently decide to stay put, I strongly encourage you to spread your wings out and fly. And by fly I mean leave the family home, take a leap of faith, trust your gut feeling, challenge yourself and follow your dream. Travel to the other side of the world if you need to, but be careful who you trust. Know that I am never to judge your decisions, but always here for you. I want you to be happy. If you are happy, then I will have succeeded in the making of you. If you are not happy now, be patient. Trust that happiness is on its way as you are on your journey of self-love and discovery.

Via Tumblr
One last thing. You know about the birds and the bees and I am sure your friends and teachers and technology will have eased more mysteries out to you than I dare to figure. Don't go overboard though. The swag and the suave have a way with words that have the power to dent the female heart. Remember that actions talk louder than words, and promises are just mirages.

Love yourself. Walk your talk. Never go for cheap. Trust your gut feeling. You are worth more than you allow it to be. I love you so dearly. Be alluring, stand in your magnificence and enjoy your life, sweetie! I am one proud mum.

12 comments:

  1. Very fine writing as usual, made so by the equally fine and deep felt sentiments. What we cannot always provide for ourselves we often pass along to others. Yours is the gift of kindness and hope wrapped in one, something that we all wish for but only the true lover of life attains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rob, for your lovely compliment! It is always a pleasure for me to read your comments, and to witness that somehow the minutiae of my perspective on life reaches out and contributes a difference to the world.

      Delete
  2. Hey Nathalie. For me your blog(s) are about an ongoing conversation with beauty; and a sharing of those perspective-driven dialogues. Being an old counter-culture hippie and writer it's only a "natch" that I see heart to heart with "Nath's" minutiae. Minute as your perspectives may appear to be I have always found, even through the strain of sound-byte driven communication streams (i.e., the Net and its forms), that there is more profundity in dangling beauty left to feeling than the opposite. You manage to blend quite a lot of that in your "minutiae". You are at heart a poet, as all of us are; it's just some of us take greater advantage of the gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful spot-on comment, Rob, that I wish I could frame it! I am indeed an aesthete of many disciplines, and the written word is my indulgence par excellence. Blog writing is one of those creative endeavours that help me channel a poetic interpretation of The World. You too have a way with words that conveys poetry, justness and wisdom. If you ever contemplate guest-writing opportunities, please do let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning! Thanks for the standing offer (re: guest-writer). I am giving it a round of considerations. It would be a welcome change from the research-driven writing that I am currently eye-balls to lip with to the tune of 100m+ words and in edit mode. That way we could also cease being the boors of this side of the 'net with so many parlayed compliments. ;) Keep thinking -- I'll be thunking... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He-he, that sounds cool, Rob! Sure, let's give it some thought and see what we can come up with. The proverbial solitary journey of the long-distance wordsmith and the prolificacy of their method are bound to benefit from some collaborative creativity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. labaguettemagique2009{at}gmail.com. I suppose this is current? My room mate (house mate) piggy back our networked Macs and use her e-mail, though i have an older one from my old company as well. I'll shoot over one of the cans that when kicked made noise: "Our Serendipitous World". Next week, estimate. I'm likely to include some sketches and paragraphs and we can noodle it from there.--RJK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. labaguettemagique2009{at}gmail.com * indeed. Really looking forward to your article and accompanying sketches! I'll stay tuned and check the inbox.

      Delete
  7. Hey Nathalie!
    I finished the article, "Our Serendipitous World," and am eyeing it for the next few days. I'll send it along afterwards with some relevant picts.

    I originally meant sketches as "ideas". :) Sorry for being "sketchy" about that.

    Adieu! RJK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous, Rob! I am looking forward to the finished article! A bientôt !

      Delete
  8. Hiya Nathalie! I e-mailed it to the address we had confirmed on the 3rd. Hopefully it didn't get bumped by a spam filter or such. The total pkg. includes the Word file and (3) jpg. files (in-line). Let me know if you received it.

    Best--Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rob, I got it! Fabulous article and great photos, thank you sooo much! Please check your in-box for my reply to your email. I'm looking to publish your post this Saturday PM (approx. GMT+6). If you would like me to include a short bio, please feel free to email it to me.

      Delete